What Can You Expect?
EECP-staff-to-patient-2EECP is a safe, non-invasive, well tolerated and effective for patients with ischemic heart disease, angina and heart failure.
- EECP feels like a deep muscle massage for the legs. During treatment, you do not feel anything in the chest or heart. Just it feels cuffs tires that wrap around your legs squeezing in time for your own heartbeat. Most of our patients relax, listen to music or watch TV during their treatments. Some even sleep!
- No side effects. However, some patients may experience muscle pain and fatigue in the first two weeks of treatment. This is similar to an exercise program. Special pants and fillers are used to minimize skin irritation by friction of the sleeve.
- Most patients begin to feel better after 10 treatments.
- EECP therapy increases the blood supply to the heart and all the organs, tissues and cells of the body.
- EECP therapy reduces symptoms of chest discomfort and / or difficulty breathing; and the amount of drugs taken by the patient.
- EECP therapy improves exercise capacity and quality of life.
- The benefits of EECP therapy can last several years. Some patients require repeat therapy as recommended by the cardiologist.
There are several mechanisms of action believed to explain the extensive benefit from EECP®. One of the main results is collateral recruitment, or the widening and creation of small blood vessels in the heart muscle. These new vessels improve the flow of healthy, oxygenated blood to the heart. Amazingly these small “collateral” blood vessels will create natural bypasses around narrowed or blocked arteries. In short the heart has more nutrients and therefore more energy than before. Look at the pictures below:
Not only can you see the difference – you can feel it. Patients report
Increases energy and stamina
Reduces or eliminates angina
Returns patients to activities they thought they had given up forever
Ability to rest and sleep better
Aside from its physical benefits EECP® is also:
Clinically proven to be as effective as bypass surgery, angioplasty, and stents
The only non-invasive treatment for coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, and angina
FDA approved in 1995, Medicare approved in 1999, and covered by private insurance
EECP® does not have any of the risks or recovery time associated with surgery.